Why book with Logo
Travel Specialist since 1932
UK offices and support while on holiday
First Class Guides
Learn from local experts with real passion
Peace of Mind
Full ATOL, IATA, ABTA protection
Yakutia Reindeer Herders Winter Tour
10 days / 9 nights
Winter adventure tour for active people!
Embark on the world-class exclusive reindeer sleigh ride through the wilderness of Oymyakon area. It is the world’s coldest inhabited place located in the Eastern part of the Sakha Republic (Yakutia). Experience an unforgettable adventure and stay at reindeer herders’ camp in a wooden cabin! Make sure to wrap up well: December, January, and February are the coldest months with temperature sometimes dropping to -60C... March is the warmest month to travel with temperature around -25C in the daytime.
It is the ultimate Winter adventure tour for active people!
Route: Yakutsk – Khandyga – Reindeer Herders’ Winter Camp in Oymyakon Valley – reindeer expedition – back to the Winter Camp – Khandyga – Yakutsk
Day 1, Yakutsk
Welcome to Yakutsk! You will be met at the airport and transferred to hotel. Enjoy some free time before the adventure begins. You will meet your guide at 12:00. Spend half a day on a city tour getting to know Yakutsk.
Day 2, Drive from Yakutsk to Khandyga
Today, you are travelling to Khandyga. We leave the hotel at 09:00. We have 453 km to go and about 9h to reach our destination. Overnight in the apartment-based private hotel in Khandyga.
Day 3, Drive from Khandyga to Oymyakon
Today we continue the transfer to Oymyakon, the coldest place in Russia - we will be travelling for up to 12h enjoying amazing sceneries of Verkhoyansk Mountain Passes! After a late dinner, we spend the night with a local family in a wooden house in Oymyakon.
Day 4, Oymyakon and transfer to Herders Winter Camp
In the morning, enjoy your breakfast and embark on a tour of Oymyakon before travelling to the Herders Camp! Visit to the Pole of Cold Stella, walk around Oymyakon village and have lunch. Drive from Oymyakon to the reindeer herders' camp: in around 6h we will cover 280 km. On the way, we will stop for 1-hr in Tomtor to visit the ice cave with huge crystals and ice sculptures (entry ticket at amount of 500 RUB/person is not included and payable locally). We arrive at the reindeer's winter base in the evening. Your adventure starts today with a dinner and overnight spend in a stove-heated wooden cabin at the herder's place.
Day 5, Herders Winter Camp
Today we prepare for the long reindeer sleigh ride. You need to make sure you observe herder's work on preparing the reindeer sleigh as you will join in the work! Breakfast, lunch, dinner are included.
Day 6, Sleigh Ride
Early morning after breakfast we prepare for the reindeer sleigh ride. We are packing the sleds and tying reindeer to the sleds. After lunch we start the amazing, once in a lifetime experience of the Reindeer sleigh ride (a traveler sit on a separate sled with 2 reindeer in the caravan). Distance to ride is around 30 km. We will stop at the temporary overnight spot. We will be setting up our own tents. Dinner and overnight in a tent.
Day 7, Sleigh ride
Enjoy your chilly breakfast in a tent. Another day of preparing reindeer and the sleds for the ride. After lunch we start our sleigh ride journey back to herders' place on the different route. This time we cross around 50 km. We arrive at the camp in the evening. Dinner. Overnight in a stove-heated wooden house at the herders' camp.
Day 8, Drive from the winter base to Khandyga
After breakfast we start our journey back to Yakutsk. After all the belongings are packed, we have a quick lunch and drive from the herders' place to Khandyga. 350 km will take around 9 h.
Day 9, Drive from Khandyga to Yakutsk
A full day of crossing the wilderness is ahead of us. We arrive in Yakutsk in the evening.
Day 10, Yakutsk - Airport
Transfer to Yakutsk Airport in the early morning.
Accommodation provided at a family house in Kandyga; Herders Camp and a temporary tent during the Sleigh ride.
YAKUTSK – OYMYAKON REINDEER HERDERS WINTER TRIP THROUGH SIBERIAN WILDERNESS
The Tour is available on enquiry basis.
Please get in touch with our Destination Managers and they will put together a perfect holiday for you.
Reindreer Herders Winter tour is available on enquiry basis.
Please get in touch with our Destination Managers and they will put together a holiday of a lifetime for you.
Standard Packages Included:
• Transfer from Yakutsk Airport to hotel on the Day of Arrival and transfer from hotel to airport on the Day of Departure
• English-, German-, French-, Spanish- or Chinese- speaking guide for the whole period
• 6-hour transport hire for shopping additional warm clothes and sightseeing
• 4WD transport with a driver for the trip en route Yakutsk – Khandyga – Reindeer Herders’ Winter Camp in the wilderness of the Oymyakon valley
– Khandyga – Yakutsk
• Accommodation at private hotel in Khandyga (twin room w/ shared facilities)
• Accommodation at reindeer herders’ camp in a wooden cabin (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
• Reindeer herders’ service at the winter camp and during sleigh expedition
• Meals and drinks during 2-day reindeer sleigh expedition
• Tents, stove, generator, and reindeer skin (serves as floor cover in tents) rent
• Sleeping bags
• Satellite phone for emergency calls
• Day drive from herders’ winter camp to Oymyakon;
• Air tickets to/from Yakutsk
• Accommodation, meals and entry tickets to venues in Yakutsk
• Meals at roadside cafes during driving days en route Yakutsk – Khandyga – Winter Camp and Winter Camp – Khandyga *Yakutsk for 4 days
(recommended budget 1000-1500 RUB/day/person)
• Extra warm clothes
• Personal travel insurance policy
• Tips & gratuities