Wells Cathedral is an Anglican cathedral dedicated to St Andrew the Apostle and seat of the Bishop of Bath and Wells. It was built in 1176–1450 to replace an earlier church on the site since 705. Its broad west front and large central tower are dominant features. It has been called "unquestionably one of the most beautiful" and "most poetic" of English cathedrals. Its Gothic architecture is mostly in Early English style of the late 12th – early 13th centuries, lacking the Romanesque work that survives in many other cathedrals. Building began about 1175 at the east end with the choir. Historian John Harvey sees it as Europe's first truly Gothic structure, breaking the last constraints of Romanesque. The stonework of its pointed arcades and fluted piers bears pronounced mouldings and carved capitals in a foliate, "stiff-leaf" style. Its Early English front with 300 sculpted figures, is seen as a "supreme triumph of the combined plastic arts in England".